The NEPA (Northeastern Pennsylvania) Freethought Society is a social, educational, activist, and philosophical coalition of non-believers comprised of atheists, agnostics, secular humanists, skeptics, etc. predicated on support and community. The group gathers monthly to discuss any pertinent issues and fully intends on defending the rights of the secular when and where appropriate. We maintain that the separation of church and state is a very important issue and critical thinking should be prevalent in all walks of life.
Our Mission Statement: S.E.A.P.:
- To establish a vibrant freethought commuity that provides fellowship and social enrichment.
- To establish an accurate public and societal understanding of atheism/freethought through community outreach and dialogue.
- To refute the common myths about atheists/freethinkers.
- To combat the moral stigma that characterizes atheists/freethinkers.
- To serve as a watchdog, support system, and advocate on behalf of atheists/freethinkers who are victimized by discrimination.
- To engage in the political process for the purpose of advancing atheist/freethought interests.
- To oppose any violations of the separation of church & state.
- To challenge religious truth claims by way of philosophical scrutiny, and in so doing, promote a world-view of naturalism together with rationalism.
- To champion logic, critical thinking, and the scientific method over those of mysticism, faith, and divine revelation.